Tukurua House

Published: Friday, 6 December 2019 at 10:33:00 AM

This grand limestone house at 7 Rosendo Street is set back on a large block on the corner of Marine Parade, and was built at the end of the 19th Century. It is an example of the large houses which were common in the area during a time of wealth and prosperity. Originally built as a summer residence for the Honorable Septimus Burt and his family who were a prominent Perth residents at the turn of the century. Septimus Burt became the first Attorney General in the first responsible government in Western Australia.

 Tukurua House

The original contractor for the house was Bunning Brothers. Further work was carried out between by 1901 to 1904, including the addition of a second storey, by the famous Architect and local Cottesloe resident at the time, J. Talbot Hobbs. The house remained in the family until 1933 when it was leased to Mr and Mrs Cass who operated a boarding house there. By 1939 the couple were in a position to purchase the property. The house was used to accommodate refugees from Singapore during World War 2, the property being divided into separate apartments complete with bathrooms and kitchens.

 

The house was not returned to its original layout after the war and was inherited by Mrs Cass’ daughter Dorothy with a clause that the house should not be altered in any way thereby ensuring retention of the original features. The house was classified by the National Trust of Australia in 1979 and entered the Register of the National Estate in 1982. Dorothy lived at the property until 1993 when she was moved to a care facility but her long time friend Mr Ted Smith remained. He lived in a small portion of the house, clearing the rest of the rooms and closing up the rest of the property. Upon Mrs Cass’ death the house was bequeathed to Mr Smith who lovingly restored the property in the early 2000s. Mining Magnate Andrew Forrest bought and developed the property in 2015.

Back to All News